Rawene, NZ’s 3rd oldest European settlement has great cafés, craft shops and the historic Clendon House. Hop on a ferry to see some amazing scenery and enjoy Kohukohu’s arts scene.
Captain Clendon was in the thick of the earliest Maori and Pakeha interaction. He was a witness to New Zealand’s Declaration of Independence in 1835, the first United States Consul in 1838, a witness to the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840 and a member of the first Legislative Council. Most of the historic buildings remain and the historic walking trail gives a taste of this bygone era.
From Rawene hop on the ferry and travel through time to the Victorian village of Kohukohu, Koh’k (‘Coke’) as the locals call it. Kohukohu developed a prosperous trade and at one time was the largest social and cultural centre in the North and now has a thriving arts scene.
The first Roman Catholic mass in New Zealand was celebrated in Kohukohu in 1838 – another chapter in the Hokianga, a land of firsts for both Maori and European history. Signs of its past glory can still be seen, with plenty of history to see around the streets – heritage villas, the Masonic Lodge, the Anglican Church, a police station and an old school.