The Stone Store & Kemp House - Kerikeri Mission Station 1819

About this image

Kayaking in the Bay of Islands

© Northland Inc

The Bay of Islands is New Zealand’s foremost historic area, birthplace to Māori and Pakeha (European) relations and home of the Kerikeri Mission Station.

Website Reveal Phone Number

Established in 1819, the Kerikeri Mission Station is one of the first places in New Zealand where Māori invited visitors to live among them. Built under the protection of local Māori chiefs who were keen to harness the trade and technology of Europe, Kerikeri Mission Station grew amidst a backdrop of tribal warfare and ever increasing visits from foreign ships.

Our experienced guides share stories of fierce warriors and drunken sailors and earnest missionaries who preached, taught and battled to spread the Christian message amongst Māori, a proud people with their own ancient traditions.

The Kerikeri Mission Station is also the site of two of the country’s oldest surviving buildings- The Stone Store and Kemp House.

Online Profiles
Additional Information
Proximity to airport: 8km
Proximity to town: 2.5km
Proximity to coach/bus: 2.5km
Physical Address
246 Kerikeri Road,
Kerikeri, Northland
New Zealand

View on Google Maps